Friday, July 16, 2010

aaaaaaachoooo, choo.......

I have seen this train since I was a kid but never had ridden on it. Thought it was time.

Number 10 is one of two trains still in use on this line. Pretty cool seeing them in the barn and then coming out. It snows here so they are put away for the winter. These engines were built around 1865 in Ohio. They were driven out to the Valley and disassembled in Madera. They were then brought into the mountains piece by piece and reassembled there. It's probably 5,000 feet elevation and there are a lot of mountains between here and the valley. Can you imagine how much work that is on something that is this heavy? This was the middle of nowhere, hardly any roads, no trucks etc. It uses 500 gallons of water each trip and I forget how much oil, but a lot.



It's really amazing to see this thing run. The drive train, crank, bearings, piston rods are all on the outside so you see everything working. Really cool. The pistons are huge. It pulls an amazing amount of weight.




The engineer invited me into the cab during a stop to get water. It's hot and there is a lot going on.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what your Loco-Motives were, but it looks like you guys engineered a trip that was on the right track to funsville.

I hope they don't give passengers too much water on the water break so that the trees don't get piston.
That'd really get me steamed.



That engine room really does have a lot going on. I wonder what all the knobs and levers do.

C