Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Great Surprise...

On Sunday we took the opportunity to visit Clovis Hills Church, way north out of Fresno in the foothills. We were very impressed. It is extremely casual, with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. I was taken with all the art that was displayed along the hallways. Later, I found out that they had been done as "illustrated sermons" during church services. This info came to me on Monday from one of my co-teachers, Stephanie Wallbridge, that attends Clovis Hills. (She had been at the 1st service.)


Inside is a gigantic hardscape church...No carpet, soft modular seating, and at least a 3 story stage, with 3 huge screens. (I understand the staging is changed with each new sermon series.) The music was upbeat and worshipful with excellent visuals and power point. The sermon was delivered in a casual style that got to the point and made you think.
There were 2 riviting interviews that connected the sermon points and touched my heart.
After Worship and Teaching, while the offering was being taken, the announcments happen. This was the best surprise for Lyle and I.... I heard this familiar voice....even though we did not know a soul in the church....

It was Cory! Yes, Cory....on 2 huge screens! The church had bought his "Tough Questions" video, and there he was! Lyle started laughing. I had to nudge him to quiet him down. No one really knew what had tickled us so much....but God has humor! I love the way he blesses us with little surprises! This was touching and fun to see his video being played...a head shot! Of course I grabbed the camera and took a picture!

When we got outside, Lyle gave Cory a call in NYC and told him we had seen him in church! What fun...a great memory for us. God is good!

8 comments:

Bakka said...

that is sooo crazy. that it was even a video that has him in it, and not just some public domain masterpiece.
i went to sermonspice.com and watched it. here is a tough question you must have had, should i tithe $20 to give back what the church spent on my humorous experience....?

Anonymous said...

No! That was a freebe. Midget

Anonymous said...

Little Brother is watching you.


Cory

nate-in-the-box said...

drat, cory you beat me to it. that was my comment! where's the lady with the sledgehammer when you need her?!

Kevin Bringard said...

Thats amazing... so you just randomly showed up at a church that was 100 miles away from your home, and that day and your sons video happened to be playing?

God does indeed have a sense of humor!

Kevin Bringard said...

PS: Nate, I live in Santa Ana too... we should have coffee or something and get caught up!

Anonymous said...

Ya Kevin, Amazing!
Glad to hear from you.
Claire is darling!
Love the pics!
Marlene

Sara LeeAnn said...

Oh, what serendipity! Too funny...