Thursday, February 19, 2009

It Was A Good Knight, But I Didn't See Lance Alot..........

The Tour of California came to Kings county today. We didn't get a start or finish but there were many miles of straight, flat stretches where they could really fly. Lance Armstrong is of course the big attraction and I saw him.....I think I saw him.....I must have seen him.....it all happened so fast. I feel confident that I can tell anyone that asks, that I saw him.
The first picture is of a breakaway that was about 4 minutes ahead of the peloton. For you non-French speaking readers, a peloton is a large, tightly grouped pack of riders. When these six riders came by it seemed slower than I thought it would be. That would change....

This is the front of the peloton and two of Armstong's teamates.




When one hundred riders come by in a pretty tight pack at 25 mph, it is really impressive. The wind they generate is something else.




At this point we are about 10 miles south of town and they would go about another ten miles before turning west and heading to the coast. As I'm writing this they are well into the mountains on their way to Paso Robles.

The chase cars with extra bikes etc. are very colorful and interspersed between the different groups of riders.
It's quite an amazing sight and just the logistics of closing the roads in a rolling maner is fantastic.

The first people I ran into, after the police chief, were the Bringards. Of course I would run into them at an event like this. Susan's cousin is in green. There were hundreds of locals, many of which I knew.



I feel safe in saying that the corner of 10 1\2 and Kansas has never seen a traffic jam like this. Hundreds of cars parked in all directions. It was a beautiful day and a great time to just enjoy the spectacle.

4 comments:

nate-in-the-box said...

your wittiest headline yet. congratulations.

(i assumed-incorrectly- from the tagline that you had recently been to a production of "spamalot")

Anonymous said...

You must have been pretty GEARED up to go, but did you TIRE? I bet you got a KICK(Stand) out of it. I would be PUMPED to see those bicyclists.

Cory

Anonymous said...

I wasn't going to but.....I'll play. I Spoke to a few that were just Cranks because others had Shifted in front of them. Wheel get even with those Helmet heads and Breakaway from the Pack beause pushups have made my Armstrong. I wasn't sure how the locals would Handle the Bars being closed. As we got back in the Saddle and drove away, everyone agreed that we weren't on Kansas anymore Toto. M

pcobb said...

i am soooooooooooooooo excited for you that you got to see the race. we thought about driving down to catch several stages but the weather has been pretty crazy and we decided not to go play in the snow more than we already have been. we got 5 inches of the white stuff yesterday. had to shovel the drive to get out to make it to church. it is only 300yds so it takes a little effort. glad you got to go!